Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Here's a recipe for Chicken and Sausage Gumbo! 🐔 It is filling, only 265 calories per 1 cup serving, and 23 grams of protein! Hope you like it! Feel free to add any vegetables you like and omit whatever you don’t like.
- 1 bag (3.5 ounces, or 45 g) boil-in-bag brown rice
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium bell peppers, chopped
- 1 cup frozen okra
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ Tsp dried thyme
- ¼ Tsp paprika
- 2 cups (280 g) chopped cooked chicken breast
- 4 ounces (or ½ cup) cooked turkey sausage
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes w/ peppers and onions
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
Prepare rice according to the package instructions, minus the salt and fat. While rice is cooking, combine the flour and oil in a Dutch oven or large heavy-duty pot. Saute over medium-high heat, stirring for 3 minutes. Add the onions, bell peppers, okra, celery, garlic, thyme, and paprika. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Stir in the chicken, turkey sausage, tomatoes, and broth. Cook for 6 more minutes, or until thoroughly heated. Serve over brown rice. Yield: 6 (1-cup) servings.
Nutrition Info: Calories 265. Protein: 23 gm. Carbs 25 gm. Fat 8 gm